Thursday, August 25, 2011

Red Pohi Masiyal(mulaikeerai)

One of the things that I miss about India is the varieties of Greens(கீரை) that we get there, especially in Tamilnadu. Indian stores carry a few types. I follow my mom and cook greens 2-3 times a week. The red pohi(முளைக்கீரை), and green pohi(பசலை கீரை) bring back memories of home. surprisingly, my kids do not complain to eat. I love to make it the way my mom makes it. 

Ingredients:
1 bunch red pohi,cleaned and chopped(leaves only)
1/2 C cooked toor dal
1/4 t cumin seeds
2 green chili, slit
mustard seeds,urad dal, and dry red chili for seasoning
coconut oil for seasoning

Method:
1. Cook pohi with chili and cumin seeds with little water, keeping the pan covered.
2. Stir in the cooked dal. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from stove, and season.  Serve as side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment