Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Morekuzhambu(South Indian style Kadi)

I just got back from my vacation.  After a week of eating outside, my kids were longing for some Desi food.  Morekuzhambu  is one of my daughter's favorite dish. Yesterday I made it with okra.  I love yogurt based dishes. After our marriage, when I found out that my husband did not like curd, I was disappointed.  I did not make any curd based dishes for a year. Slowly, my husband's palate developed. He loves to eat these dishes now.

Ingredients:
5 okra, cut to 1 inch pieces
1C fresh curds
1t turmeric powder
1/2C grated coconut
3 small green chili
2 dry red chili
1/2t rice, soaked in water
mustard, urad dal, red chili, and curry leaves for seasoning

Method:
1. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a medium saucepan. Saute okra with a little turmeric and salt for a 3 minutes. Add little water and cook till tender. Turn the stove off.
2. Meanwhile, blend coconut, rice, and chili with a little water in a blender.
3. Beat the curd in a bowl. Add turmeric and salt to taste. Mix the coconut paste to the curd.
4. Stir curd mixture to the okra. Heat the morekuzhambu till frothy on all sides. Season and garnish with cilantro. Serve over white rice.

Variation:
You can soak 1/2 teaspoon  dhania, 1/4 teaspoon  jeera, 1/4 teaspoon channa dal, 1/2 inch ginger, 1/4 teaspoon rice in water and blend with coconut.  This is Tanjore style.
You can use eggplant or pumpkin too.

1 comment:

  1. nice presentation. I will wait till i visit pondy to make this. the curd i get here does not hold the heat.

    ReplyDelete