Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Eggless Vanilla Cake

Happy New Year everybody. I was busy over the holidays and decided to take a  break. Now that I'm back, I'm hoping to post a lot of recipes. I did a bit of baking over the holidays. My neighbor's mom turned 70 last week. I was not aware of it the previous day. I did not know what to give her. So, I decided to bake a cake for her. Like my mom, she does not eat eggs. I went to my favorite vegetarian website Madhuram's eggless  cooking. I found an easy recipe. I decided to make 2 cakes, but abandoned the idea and made 1 round cake. The pan was a little too small and took a little longer to cook than the time given in the recipe. I got nervous and decided to make another cake. This time I made chocolate cake. Fortunately both the cakes turned out well. The chocolate cake won hands down.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C all purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 T sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk(14 0unces)
1 C water
2 T vinegar
2 T vanilla extract
1/2 C butter, melted

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F or180 C. Lightly grease and dust a 9x13 inch pan or two 8 inch round pans.
2. In a large pan mix together the dry ingredients.
3.Make a well and stir in the wet ingredients in order given. Mix everything using a hand mixer. Do not over mix.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Tap the pans to break any air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. Remove the cake after 15 minutes. Allow the cake to completely cool before icing.

Notes:
Add 1/4 C cocoa for chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment