Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cheddar Corn Chowder

I was requested to bring a soup for our Annual Christmas Party last week. I decided to make chowder. I browsed online for a vegetarian version. Chowder is usually made with clam or bacon is added to the corn. I found one vegetarian recipe on food network.com. I also liked a recipe by The Barefoot Contessa, which called for bacon. I created my own version from both of them.  It was a great hit at the party. My daughter loved it so much that she wanted to have it again the next day.

Ingredients:
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 glarlic cloves, minced
6 sprigs fresh thyme,leaves only
1/4 C all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t turmeric powder
2 Idaho potatoes,peeled and diced
6 C vegetable stock
6 C corn kernels(frozen)
2 C half-and half(or heavy cream)
1 C  grated sharp white cheddar cheese

Method:
1. Heat butter and oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the vegetables are soft(8-10 minutes). Dust the vegeatables with the flour and stir to coat well.
2. Pour the stock and add the potaotes. Bring it to a boil and cook until the potatoes are cooked but not too soft(7-8 minutes). 
3. Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and half and chedder cheese. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with crackers.















No comments:

Post a Comment