Friday, January 20, 2012

Vegetable Dhanshak

Tamarind is a must have ingredient in South Indian homes. I was at a loss this week, when I found that I was out  of tamarind. I had all these vegetables, that I bought on Sunday, in my refrigerator. I managed somehow. I was talking to my friend yesterday. She told me about this scrumptious one pot dish that can be eaten as soup or with rice. I went online looking for the recipe and made it today. Dhanshak is a Farsi dish from Western India. It is typically made with chicken or mutton. But, it can also be made with lots of vegetables and lentils. Dhanshak is served with brown rice and kachumber(cucumber) salad. It is a great slow cooker dish.

Ingredients:
1/2 C toor dal
1/8 C mung dal(green gram lentils)
1/8 C masoor dal(red lentils)
1/8 C channa dal(garbanzo lentils)
1 large oinion, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small round eggplant, chopped
1/4 C  bottle gourd(lauki), peeled and chopped
1/2 C yellow pumpkin, chopped
2T fresh methi leaves(fenugreek)
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 T fresh mint leaves,chopped
3 T tamarind pulp(optional)
2 T ghee
4 C water
salt to taste

For dhanshak masala
3 pods garlic
1 inch ginger
1 1/2 t cumin seeds
1T corriander seeds
1 inch cinnamon
4 cloves
2-3 red chili
1/2 t saunf

Method:
1. Mix all the lentils and chopped vegetables, except the onion, in the slow cooker. Add water. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.

2. When the vegetables and lentils are cooked add salt, and blend them well with emulsion blender.
3. While the shak is cooking, make the masala by grinding everything in a blender, using a little water.
4. Heat ghee in a small pan. Saute the oinion for 4 minutes. Add the ground masala till the raw smell leaves.
5. Stir in the masala into the shak.  Cook on low for 20 minutes.
6. Serve hot with brown rice(caramalized basmati).

Notes:
The vegetables and dal can be cooked in pressure cooker, instead of slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment