Saturday, January 28, 2012

Decadent Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Sauce

Who does not love chocolate? You could call me a reformed chocoholic.(I have not given up on it though). Everyone in my family loves chocolate. You can guess what cake my kids wanted me to bake today for my son's 12th birthday! My sister had given me Christmas Cook book by Betty Crocker  for Christmas last year.  I took the recipe from that book. The cake was delicious. I served it with warm raspberry sauce. My kids loved it. I used the left over sauce with  my oatmeal.

Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 C butter
1/2 C all purpose flour
4 eggs, separated
1/2 C sugar

For the raspberry sauce:
10 0z frozen raspberries, thawed, drained, and
juice reserved
1/4 c sugar
2 T cornstarch

For glaze:
1/2 C semisweet chocolate chips
2 T butter
2 T light corn syrup

For garnish:
1/2 C whipped cream
fresh raspberries

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Grease the bottom and sides of 8/2-1/2 inch spring form pan with shortening. In a 2-quart saucepan, melt 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour until smooth. Stir in the egg yolks until well blended. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl,  beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form. Gently stir chocolate mixture into egg whiles. Spread in pan.
3. Bake for 35- 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove the side of springform pan. Turn the cake upside down onto a wire rack. Remove the bottom of  springform pan and cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, add enough water to reserved raspberry juice to measure 1 cup. In a 1-quart saucepan, mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in juice and thawed raspberries. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Boil and stir 1 minute. strain through strainer to remove seeds. Set aside.

5. Place cake on a serving plate. In 1-quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter and the corn syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chips are melted. Spread over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down side. Place whipped cream in a decorating bag fitted with star tip. Pipe a rosette on each serving. serve cake with sauce. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
























No comments:

Post a Comment