Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Peppers and "Sausage"Sandwich

Our High School serves peppers and steak sandwich for lunch. But, I don't eat meat. My sister introduced me to meatless steak when she visited me from California. We went to Trader's Joe and found a variety of meat-less "meat". They are made from tofu(soy product). I bought the vegan "sausage".  Next day I made the sandwich for lunch. My husband was impressed. My son loved it. I've to say, it tasted very good. Tofu is a good source of protien for active kids who do not eat meat.

Ingredients:
1 Vegan Chipotle Sausage
4 Steak rolls
1 C Greeen Peppers, sliced
1 onion, sliced
Vegan mayonaise
Spicy mustard
Hummus

Method:
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a medium size pan. Add onions and pepper. Cook till the peppers are crunchy.  You may add chopped jalapeno peppes if you want it spicy.
2. Meanwhile, unwrap the sausage and slice them diagonally into (2 inch thick). The Chipotle sausage is spicy. If you want more spice, you can add some hot sauce to the pan.  Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from t\he stove.
3. Open the bread. spread mayonaise and hummus on the bottom. spread the mustard on the top. Spoon the peppers and sausage mixture on the bread. You can add your favorite cheese to it. enjoy the sandwich hot.


I used the Vegan Sausage bought from Whole Foods for this sandwich. I also used different colored peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment