Thursday, July 21, 2011

Berry Pie

I came across an easy pie recipe in this week's newspaper. I wanted to try this out since I had a lot of strawberries and blueberries. I have always been hesitant to make pie, because I thought it would be difficult and that something would go wrong. I started making pie a couple of years ago. This pie that I made yesterday was so easy to make and every one in my family loved it.

Ingredients:
2C graham cracker crumbs
1 stick(1/2C) unsalted butter, melted
41/2C fresh berries, washed, hulled if necessary
and drained
3/4C sugar
1/4C cornstarch
1/2C water
2T lime juice

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a 9-inch pie pan, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into bottom and sides of the pie pan. I used 21/2C of crumbs. Bake for 10minutes.
3. In a food processor, mash 2 cups of berries. Mix sugar, cornstarch, and water in a saucepan; whisk until smooth. Stir in mashed fruit. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture is thick, about 7-10 minutes.  Add lime juice.  Taste and add extra juice or sugar as needed.
4. Stir in remaining berries. Refrigerate for 30 or until partially thickened.  Spoon into crust.  Chill for at least 3 hours to set.  Serve with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.

Notes:

You can use ready to use pie crust for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment