Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Falafal




It's been a week since my last blog. I've been busy helping my husband with the floor project in the basement.  That is going real slow.

I love Mediterranean food. It is an ideal diet to lose weight. They use yogurt in most of their food. Falafel is one of my favorite Medeterranean food. I always get Falafel from the street vendors when I go to New York City.  It is a Pita Bread sandwich stuffed with onion, cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, hummus, and falafel patties. The sandwich is drizzled with tahini sauce.


Ingredients:
For the patties:

1C. dry falafel mix
3/4 C water
oil to deep fry

For Falafel:
1 packet pita bread(6)
1 small onion, sliced
1 small tomato,diced
1 cucumber, diced
Lettuce
1/4 C. crumbled feta cheese
falafel sauce
Tahini sauce
6T. Hommus
Sour Cream
Method:

1. Take 1 cup of falafel mix in a medium bowl. Add water, mix and let it stand for 10 minutes. Falafel is like dal vada. The dry mix can be found in Mediterranean stores or Indian stores. Make lemon size balls out of the mix. slightly flatten the balls and deep fry them in oil. Keep the falafel aside.
2. Heat a griddle. Toast the pita bread with a little butter on both sides.
3. Place the pita bread on a plate. spread a tablespoon of hommus on the bread. Hommus is a dip made out of chick peas(garbonzo)  and spices.  Hommus can be found in any grocery store.

4. Arrange the vegetables, starting with lettuce. Place 3 falafel on the bread. Drizzle falafel sauce and Tahini over them.  Falafel sauce is available in Indian stores.  Tahini is made by blending white sesame seeds. It can be bought in any grocery store or Indian store.


5. Sprinkle some feta cheese. Fold the pita bread and serve with sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. I made falafel for my roommates today with this recipe and everything turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you NIvi! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete