Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Azhagar Dosai (crepe)



We were talking about idly and dosa on one of my whats app groups. A friend asked me to try Azhagar dosa. I've never heard of this. My mom told me that this is given as prasad in Azhagar kovil in Tamil Nadu. It tastes like pepper vada you would get in Thirupathi temple. I had it for the first time last night when I made for dinner.

Ingredients:

3 cups raw rice or idly rice
1 cup urad dal (black or white), preferably black
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorn
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger powder (sukku)

Method:

1. Soak rice and dal separately for 6 hours.
2 Grind rice and dal together along with cumin seeds and peppercorn to a coarse batter. Mix in salt, asafoetida and ginger powder.  



3. Pour 1 ladle of batter on a hot griddle. Drizzle oil along the dosa. Cook for a couple minutes. Flip over and cook on both sides.


4. remove on a plate. Repeat process. Serve with any chutney of your choice.


Note:
You can adjust the recipe as you want, 3:1 ratio rice : urad dal. Serve it hot.












No comments:

Post a Comment