Monday, June 17, 2013

Sushi Rolls


Being a food lover, I've always been a little disappointed that we cannot find too many vegetarian options at a Japanese restaurant. The first time I had sushi was at work. I liked the taste of seaweed. Many years ago my friend gave me fresh seaweed salad. Not everyone would like the taste of it. There is a Vegan restaurant that we go to once a year for my son's birthday (it's 45 miles away). Anyway, this year when we went there we tried a variety of sushi, made with yam, cucumber, pepper and avocado. They were amazing. My manager at work taught me how to make sushi.
A few weeks ago I went to an Asian Market nearby and bought the necessary items and tried my hand in making sushi. I have to say, they turned out good and every one liked it. Though my mom doesn't like the taste of seaweed.

Ingredients:
Bamboo Sushi mat
Sushi Nori(roasted seaweed)
2 C cooked rice
1 T rice vinegar
small red pepper, julined
small cucumber, julined
1 carrot, peeled and julined
1/4 avocado, julined
prepared  Wasabi
soy sauce
How to make Sushi Rolls:
1. Place freshly made steamed rice in a large flat bowl. Sprinkle rice vinegar over the rice and mix the rice swiftly with a flat wooden spatula. Be careful that the rice does not become too sticky. Cool rice to room temperature. Cover the bowl with a damp towel to prevent rice from drying out.
2. Place a sheet of Sushi Nori over the bamboo Sushi mat with the shiny side down.
3. Spread Sushi rice evenly over the nori and leave 1 inch space at the edge of the nuri. Place your favorite fillings across the center of the sushi rice.



 4. Place your thumbs on the back of the mad and begin rolling away from you. Be sure to support the fillings with the rest of your fingers. Roll the sushi until the edge of the nori is placed under the sushi. shape the roll by pressing lightly with both hands. Remove the bamboo sushi mat and slice sushi roll into six to eight pieces.

5. Serve Sushi rolls with soy sauce and wasabi.


No comments:

Post a Comment