Sunday, June 9, 2013

Enchilada

My daughter was very excited to plan the dinner menu yesterday when I told her that my childhood friend was coming over. She wanted me to make Mexican food for them. Although they couldn't make it here, my kids still wanted Mexican. I made Enchilada and Mexican rice. We had a great dinner. Enchilada is a baked tortilla stuffed with meat,cheese and sauce. I substituted beef with vegetables and beans. It is a very filling single dish item.

Ingredients:
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
3 garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
5 mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 C pink beans, soaked, cooked and drained
2 10 oz. can Enchilada sauce
1 T taco seasoning
11/2  C grated cheddar cheese
5 enchilada style tortilla(6 inch)

Method:
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease 13x9-inch glass baking dish. In 10-inch skillet, cook saute garlic and onion in 1 T oil over high heat for a minute. Lower heat to medium and cook the vegetables till they are soft and crunchy. Stir in cooked beans and taco seasoning.
2. Stir in 3/4 cup of the enchilada sauce and 1 cup of the cheese.
3. Spoon enchilada filling onto tortillas; roll up and place seam side down in prepared baking dish.
4. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hot. Garnish with sour cream and home style salsa.
Serve with Mexican rice.

Notes:
I have used soy crumbles along with vegetables in the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment