Friday, June 21, 2013

Channa dal Chutney

I developed my love for cooking and eating from my mother. She used to treat our palates to variety of dishes when we were growing up. She used to make specific accompaniments to every dish. Potato curry was made with Onion Sambar, Vathal Kuzhambu was accompanied by Parippu Thuvayal. For Idly and Dosa, my mom used to make different variety of chutney, coconut, tomato, channa dal, peanut, onion etc. Our favorite chutney to go with Idly was Channa dal Chutney. I like to add a little curd(yogurt) to it.
Yesterday I made this chutney for dinner to go with Idlly. Oh how I enjoyed it!

Ingredients:
1/2 C Channa Dal, roasted with 1/2 t oil
3-4 red chili, roasted along with channa dal(adjust to taste)

1 pinch asafoetida
1/4 C fresh grated coconut
salt to taste
mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves for tempuring

Method:
Blend all the ingredients adding enough water. Remove from blender. Top with tempured seasonings. Serve with Idly or Dosa.

No comments:

Post a Comment