Friday, March 2, 2012

Kola Vada or Kotbole(mini Indian Pretzel)

My mother-in-law is famous for her Kola Vada, a crispy savory made with sooji(cream of wheat). Before returning home, she wanted to make some for my husband. So, me and my sister-in-law decided to make it ourselves this time. We wanted to learn the tradition. It is easy if 2 people make it together. I am glad to say that it turned out very well and got certified by everyone in the family.

Ingredients:
2 C un-roasted cream of wheat(sooji)
2 T rice flour
1 t turmeric powder
1 T chili powder
2 T sesame seeds
2 T grated coconut
salt to taste
1/2 t asafoetida
3 T butter
water to make the dough
oil to fry

Method:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients. Slightly melt the butter and mix to the dry ingredients. Add enough water to make a stiff dough.
2. Take a berry size dough in your hand. Roll it between your palms to make a rope. Twist the rope to shape like a pretzel. Continue to make mini pretzel with the remaining dough.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry the pretzel shaped kola vada and drain on a paper towel. Enjoy with tea or coffee.
Kids will definitely love this snack after school.

2 comments:

  1. well missing patti's Kola vada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Praveen. That's why I'm bringing some home for mama.

      Delete