Friday, March 30, 2012

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie

I was in not in a mood to cook Indian food yesterday.  We were talking about pot pie and shepherd's pie at work. So, I decided to make Shepherd's Pie. I made a one-dish dinner with chopped vegetables and mashed potato. It turned out well. I used the leftover to make a wrap for lunch today. My daughter loved it. I used the recipe from one of the cook books that I have.  I made some changes to it.

Ingredients:
3 C peas, and chopped carrots
1 C chopped onion
1 C chopped green pepper
2 t dried thyme
1 t chili powder
Olive oil spray
4 large potatoes
2/3 C light ricotta cheese
1/4 t salt
pepper to taste
2 C drained black-eyed peas
1 C diced tomato
1 (8-ounce)  can no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 t soy sauce
salt to taste
Panko Bread crumbs

Method:
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients, and stir well.  Spoon into a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Coat the vegetables with cooking spray.
2. Bake uncovered, at 400 F for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Boil potatoes in water till tender. Drain, peel and mash. Stir in ricotta cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
4. Combine vegetable mixture, black-eyed peas, and the next 4 ingredients, stirring well. Spoon into a 21/2 -quart shallow baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Spoon the mashed potato in a border around the edge of the dish. Spoon the remaining potato mixture over the center of the dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs over top. Bake uncovered, at 350 F for 20 minutes.

Note:
I did not have ricotta cheese. So, I used 1 tablespoon of cream cheese and  2 tablespoons of plain yogurt.
I used boiled garbanzo(chick peas) instead of the black-eyed peas.
The recipe called for Worcestershire sauce. But I used soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment