Friday, February 3, 2012

Vegetable Upma(Sooji Kitchidi)

 When I was young, my mom used to cook cream of wheat(sooji) for breakfast. She used to make it plain, with onion, or with vegetables. I love the plain version. We call it upma. It is a very easy dish to make for teens. I taught my daughter to make the plain upma yesterday. I don't know how much she retained. But, she can always look back to the blog to check the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 C cream of wheat(sooji), roasted
1 small onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 small carrot, diced
1 small potato, diced
1 T green peas
1 green chili,slit
2 t oil
1/2 inch cinnamon
1 cardamom
1 clove
1 t each of mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal
1/2 t turmeric powder
1/2 t chili powder
3 C water
salt to taste
curry leaves and chopped cilantro

Method:
1. Heat oil in a pan to medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, chili, and the spices. Add the chopped onion and fry till translucent. Add the remaining vegetables, turmeric powder and chili powder. Cook for 2 minutes. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
2. Add salt, curry leaves and cilantro. Gradually add the roasted sooji, while constantly stirring.  Check for salt. Upma should be done in 5 minutes.
3. Serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney.
My kids and husband love to eat it with sugar.






No comments:

Post a Comment