Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chili Idly

Idly used to be my all time favorite food growing up. We used to have Idly with chili powder every day for breakfast. My son does not it though. When my kids were little, I used to make stuffed Idly with peas and carrot, to get them to eat their veggies. I like to make familiar food interesting. So, one day I made idly, the Chinese way. I made it like Manchurian. What do you know, my kids loved it.  I made it for lunch today.

Ingredients:
16 idly, cut into cubes
2 bunches spring onion, chopped
2 t oil
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
1 T ginger, garlic, and green chili, chopped(more if desired)
1 T tomato sauce, or ketchup
1 t green chili sauce
1 T soy sauce
1 T corn flour
1/2 C water

Method:
1. Heat oil in a broad pan. Saute chili, garlic and ginger for a minute. Add green pepper and saute for 4 minutes. Add spring onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sauces. Mix corn flour and water, and stir it in the pan. Add the cubed idly to the sauce. Enjoy it hot.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this blog and the chilli idli looks awesome. We hope to try this soon.
    Kannan.

    ReplyDelete