Friday, September 16, 2011

Eggless Dates Cake

Yesterday was my mom's birthday. I wanted to make eggless cake for her. I took this recipe from Madhuram's eggless cooking.com. I was skeptical about using dates. But, the cake came out well. My mom and her friends liked it.

Ingredients:
18 pitted dates
3/4 C milk
3/4 C sugar
1 Call purpose flour
1/2 C oil
1t baking soda
1/4 C chopped walnuts

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease and dust a 8-inch round pan.
1. Soak dates in milk and microwave till it becomes soft.
2. Process date with milk and sugar to a paste. Pour it out in a medium bowl. Add oil and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, sieve flour and baking soda. Gradually add this to the date mixture, while mixing constantly. Add a little water if needed to get it to the right consistency. Fold in the nuts.  Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack.  Frost the cake with favorite frosting, or decorate with blanched almonds.

Notes:

I reduced oil to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment