Saturday, September 3, 2011

Arisi noi Uppma(Rice)

This is a typical South Indian food. People have it for breakfast or dinner.  I used to make it a certain way. When my mom came to live with me, she gave me some tips to make it taste better.  This is one of my all time favorite tiffin.  It can be served with chutney or kothsu. My husband and kids like to eat it with brown sugar.  My grandfather used to eat it with curd. 

Ingredients:
1 C raw rice, broken in blender, and sifted
1t toor dal + 1/4t black peppercorn, broken, and sifted
1/4t coriander seeds + 1/8 t methi seeds, powdered
mustard seeds, urad dal, red chili,and green chili,and curry leaves, for seasoning
asafoetida, a pinch 
1 T oil
1t fresh grated coconut(optional)
salt to taste


Method:
1. Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat.  Add ingredients for seasoning. 
2. Pour 5-6 cups of water in the pan and bring it to boil.  Add coconut and broken rice. Cover with a lid and lower the heat. When the rice is half cooked, add salt, toor dal mixture and asafoetida.  sprinkle water if required.  Let rice cook. Stir occasionaly. 
3. When rice is almost done, stir in the coriander powder. Mix gently. Add a little cococut oil.  When done, remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes.  Serve with  chutney.  

1 comment:

  1. Its ages since I've made this ...dont do thid di J....add the chutney to go with it...hmm...verkadalai chutney and arsi noi uppuma...Sneha

    ReplyDelete