Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Creamy Rotini with Mushroom

                                               

Pasta is my daughter's favorite. Thursdays used to be pasta days when my kids were growing up. Even now, when my daughter comes home, she expects to have pasta on Thursdays. My friend keeps telling me how quick it is to make pasta in Instant Pot. Last week my sister, who just bought her IP said the same thing. Now, I really have to use it to make pasta. I prefer creamy pasta to red sauce. I found a recipe on one of the Facebook groups I follow and modified it. I wouldn't say it was quick, but it was a one pot dish, and I didn't have to drain the pasta. It was easy to make. This recipe is for my daughter, though she doesn't like mushrooms, she can substitute it with other vegetables. The recipe makes 4 servings.

Ingredients:

8 oz. rotini pasta
2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
8 oz. mushroom
1 Cup diced onion
2 pods garlic, diced
2 Cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 Cup Gruyere cheese, grated
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
crushed red chili flakes, to taste
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Method:

1. Clean and slice mushrooms.
 
                                                   

2. Turn the instant pot to saute mode. Add 1 Tablespoon oil or butter. Add mushrooms and saute till moisture leaves, about 2-3 minutes. Turn IP off. Remove from IP and set aside.

                                                           

3. Add 1 Tablespoon oil or butter to the pot. You do not have to clean the pot. Turn it back on saute mode. Add diced onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Turn the Instant Pot off.


4. Add two cups of broth or water and  deglaze the pot by scraping the bottom.


5. Add rotini so it is completely covered with broth.  Close with lid with the vent, on sealing position.


6. Pressure cook pasta on high pressure for 5 minutes. As soon as the pressure cooker beeps, turn the pot off, and quick release pressure manually.


7. Open the lid. Add heavy cream and cheese to the pasta.


8. Stir until cheese melts.


9. Gently fold in mushroom. Turn the pot on to saute mode. Stir to combine. Check for salt. Add if required. Add crushed red pepper and ground peppercorn. Turn the IP off. Stir in lemon juice.


10. You can garnish with Parmesan before serving. 



Notes:

I used baby Bella mushrooms in this recipe. 
I used rotini pasta. You can use any kind of pasta for this recipe.
You can use just Parmesan cheese. I used Gruyere because I had it, and it is a great melting cheese.
Mushroom can be substituted with other vegetables like broccoli and peas.
The rule of thumb for cooking pasta in Instant Pot is to cook 1 minute less than half the time given on the box.
It is really great not to have to drain water from the pasta. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment