Saturday, May 9, 2020

Gottu Rasam




My father- in- law worked for Tamil Nadu government super market. He was transferred to different places through out the state. The whole family moved with him where ever he went. I have heard from my husband that his mom would start cooking as soon as they moved to a new house..no take outs. She would make this delicious rasam in a jiffy. When I asked my father-in-law for her recipe this morning, he called it killi thalicha rasam. Basically, this gottu rasam is made when there is no tomatoes or toor dal in the house, just cooked tamarind water with tempered spices. I have no memory of my mom making this growing up, though she says otherwise. I was not a fan of this when I was introduced to it at my in-laws' after marriage.  My mom wanted me to make this today. Boy! I fell in love with it. 


Ingredients:
Gooseberry size tamarind, soaked in 1/2 cup water 
1 tablespoon ghee
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoon toor dal
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorn
1/4 spoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
3 dried red chili, broken in half
3-4 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon jaggery

Method:
1. Extract tamarind water from soaked pulp. Discard tamarind. Add 1 1/2 cups of water.
2. Heat ghee in a 2 quart saucepan. Add dried spices to the pan. Add curry leaves when spices pop in ghee.


3. Pour tamarind water to the saucepan. Add salt, and asafoetida. Let it simmer till the tangy smell of tamarind leaves. Taste for salt. Add jaggery or brown sugar.


4. Remove from stove. Serve as soup or with rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment