Saturday, April 18, 2020

Usili Upma


I had never heard about this dish before my wedding. Learned it from my mother in law. It was one of her favorite dishes. Though upma is a popular breakfast dish in South Indian cuisine, it is not a favorite for many. The few times I made this dish was not satisfactory to my husband.  I couldn't make it like his mom :(
This dish is typically made with rice and mung dal. I decided to substitute rice with kodo millet (varagu arisi). It turned out very tasty. 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup kodo millet
1/4 cup mung dal
2 Tablespoon grated coconut
2 Cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
2 Tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon channa dal
5-6 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida



Method: 
1. Dry roast millet and mung dal separetly. Soak them together in water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pressure pan. Add mustard, urad, channa dal. When mustard pops add red chili, curry leaves, and asafoetida.

3. Add 2 cups water and salt. Bring to boil. Drain water and add millet and mung dal. Check for salt and adjust as needed.
4. Cover with lid and cover vent with weight. Cook for 2 whistles. Remove from stove. Let pressure release naturally.

5. Remove lid. Gently mix grated coconut. Serve warm with chutney of your choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment