Monday, April 1, 2019

Bittergourd (Chinese Okra) chips




One thing I like about my Air Fryer is I can make all these fried food without the guilt. My husband has come around to like it too. Yesterday I made these delicious bitter gourd (Karela) chips for snack. I used to get them hot and fresh from Hot Chips when I was in India. They are crispy, spicy and slightly bitter. Your mouth just explodes with all these flavors at once. I made the healthier air fryer version. My husband suggested that I should use more chick pea flour next time. 

Ingredients:

8 Indian bitter gourd, washed and sliced into thin rounds and seeds removed.
Lemon size tamarind soaked in water and pulp extracted ( about 1 cup)
1+1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon asafoetida
1/2 cup chick pea flour (besan)
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
oil spray for air fryer

Method:

1. Place the sliced karela in a large bowl. Marinate with tamarind extract, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and some salt for 10 minutes.




2. Drain karela and rinse. Add the dry ingredients and oil. Mix well.


3. Spray the air fryer basket with oil. Fry karela in batches at  370 for 10 minutes, tossing in between.


4. Serve when cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment