Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Medhu Vada(Urad Dal Vada)

My sister makes the best Medhu Vada in my family. It is always perfect in shape and texture. For many years I could not make vada like hers. Then I learned  the secret. Now, my vada comes out well. But hers is still the best.  Last year, my neighbor's dad, who was visiting , gave me some tips for soft and crisp vadas.  Last week my mom said that she made Medhu Vada using split black gram(urad dal). I tried the same last weekend. They turned out  very well indeed. I was reminded of "vada malai" in temple.  I had a lot of left over vada, and made Dahi Vada next day. My daughter loved it.

Ingredients:
1 C Whole Urad
1 t rice
green chili, as per requirement
salt, as required
1 t asafoetida

curry leaves

1. Soak dal and rice for 2 hours.
2. Drain and grind with chili, adding very little water to a slightly coarse batter. Make sure the batter is fluffy  while grinding. Add salt and asafoetida. Remove the batter and stir in curry leaves.
3. Heat oil in a pan.  Dip your fingers in water; wet a plastic sheet; take a tablespoon size batter and pat it on the sheet; make a hole in the center and slide it into the hot oil. Depending on the size of the pan, you can fry 2-4 Vada at a time. Fry on both sides till golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
3. Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.

Note:
Chopped onion can be mixed into the batter.
Vada can be soaked in sambar and served as Sambar Vada.
 Do not soak the dal for too long.
Make sure not to grind the batter too smooth.
Make the vada immediately.



2 comments:

  1. 2 hrs soaking for urad is a lot of time Jay. half hour is enough. i add chopped ginger, coriander leaves, curry leaves along with onion and very very finely chopped green chillies to the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay i suggest you organise all your recipes under different sub heads. so makes search easier. on that thought, start a subhead on traditional medicinal recipes. food as medicine. something like that. incorporate inputs from aunty specifically on the health benefits in bullet points.

    ReplyDelete