Friday, July 18, 2014

Katchori

It's been a very long time friends. Not that I've not been cooking, just haven't had the time to upload recipes. Now that its summer time.. you'll see more of me ;-)
While talking to my friend last week I heard that she made katchori. I've always thought it was hard to make. Anyway, when she told me how she got the recipe from a Lucknow friend I wanted to try making it too.
Katchori is a savory dish found in   Uttar Pradesh, Rajastan,Gujrat and Delhi. It is usually made by stuffing urad dal or mung dal in flour dough and fried. Sweet version of Katchori is also popular in Gujrat.
I made my katchori with urad dal stuffing.

Ingredients:

For the filling:
1 Cup urad dal soaked
1 Table spoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon dhaniya powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
salt to taste
1 pinch asafoetida

For the dough:
1 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
enough oil for the dough

Method:
1. Coarsely grind urad dal without water. Mix enough salt.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Add the remaining spices. Lower the heat. Stir in the urad dal mixture and cook till it becomes dry without any lumps. Add oil as necessary. Set aside.
3. Add 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil, enough water salt to flour and knead to a soft dough.
4. Take a small ball of dough, roll it into a a thick round. Drop a spoonful of filling in the center. Bring the edges over the filling covering it. Flatten with your hand. Repeat with the remaining dough.
5. Heat enough oil in a frying pan. Drop the puri in oil and fry on both sides until golden. Serve with green chutney and sweet chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment